The purpose of the Public Engagement Group is two-fold:
- To act as the “intelligence hub” for the 2020 Climate Group and all of its sub-groups on behaviour change and public engagement issues and practice, ensuring a consistent approach to behaviour change issues and methodologies, and sharing insight and good practice; and
- To create high profile public dialogue over some of the “intractable issues” relating to a low carbon Scotland.
Priority Objectives and Actions for 2012
- Establish the 2020 website as a core public platform, or “intelligence hub” for partners to profile innovative practice and up to date case studies
- Identify most effective behaviour change approaches with partners
- Produce a brief guide on effective measures in Public Engagement in the short terms
- Explore further work with cross-sector partners to implement values-based approaches to behaviour change
- Publish a report and build capacity in the long term
- Help to develop/build capacity for community groups and similar organisations
- Facilitate discussions with community-led action groups to identify ways of supporting them to increase their capacity to participate in the low-carbon economy
- Youth Engagement
Terms of Reference
- The 2020 Climate Group jointly commissioned, with Defra and the Scottish Government, research into low carbon behavioural activities in the workplace, in order to contribute to the lack of previous work in this area. This work was published in March 2012, along with a guidance document, and later, a presentation for use by employers in the workplace.
- The public engagement subgroup continues to provide interesting content for the website, in the form of bi-monthly newsletters, member blogs, relevant links and use of social media.